Aggressive Representation And Legal Advice From A Dedicated Father-Son Team

Attorney Jorge L. Gonzalez

The Putative Father Registry and Florida Rights

On Behalf of | Mar 23, 2020 | Family Law

When it comes to a child born out of wedlock, it’s the mother who gets rights to the child. That said, there is such a thing as rights for unmarried fathers, and there are some things a father can do in regard to his child. We at the Law Offices of Jorge L. Gonzalez, P.A. in Hialeah, FL, specialize in family law, and through that experience, we talk a bit about unmarried fathers rights in Florida. If the situation calls for it, we can also provide a paternity lawyer for you to help out should you feel the need to bring a case to Court. What we’d like to talk more about, however, is the Putative Father Registry.

What is the Putative Father Registry?

One thing an unmarried father can do after their child is born is register with the Putative Father Registry. What this does is essentially protect the father’s rights regarding their child should the mother attempt to put the child up for adoption. What will happen is the father will be given the opportunity to challenge that adoption. When Court proceedings for the adoption of the child are filed, the putative father will be given the opportunity to pursue his legal rights as a father to the child before the adoption process goes through. This is also a confidential process. Only the adoption agencies working with the child in question, the family Court, the child’s birth mother, and the putative father will be able to access the registry information. In many cases, this is one of the best things an unmarried father can do to attempt to pursue paternity for their child.

Consider a Paternity Lawyer for Unmarried Fathers Rights in Florida

In some cases, you may feel you aren’t provided that which is your right as a father. An example of what we mean would be being allotted appropriate visitation rights. You may even feel that the mother isn’t fit to properly care for the child. In cases like these, you can consider a lawyer to try and fight for your rights as a father. Taking these scenarios to family Court is a serious decision to make, and you’ll want to speak with your lawyer about what the right move to make is. That said, if taking things to family Court is the right choice, there’s much to gain from doing so. Remember that you’re entitled to your rights as a father and don’t feel compelled to settle for less if you don’t have to.

Need a Paternity Lawyer? Contact the Law Offices of Jorge L. Gonzalez, P.A.

If you’re in need of a paternity attorney in Hialeah, FL, then let us at the Law Offices of Jorge L. Gonzalez, P.A. be the ones to represent you. We specialize in family Court, which is an important thing to consider as it means we have more experience with such cases than a general attorney. We will stand up for unmarried fathers rights in Florida and make sure you receive the rights that you’re entitled to as a father. For more information on the Putative Father Registry or counsel on whether or not you should take your case to Court, contact us to ask questions.